- Text Size +
The man was quickly running out of breath and his legs were starting to quiver. He couldnt stop now, though. That damn mob was still after him. So he owed them a little money. So what? The greedy bastards couldn’t wait for him to pay them off so they decided to chase him. Jerks.

“Hey!” one of the men from the group shouted, “Hey, you, stop now or we’ll shoot!”

He swore fiercely under his breath. He had to keep running, he couldn’t stop for anything. No matter how dark, dank and creepy this forest was, he had to keep moving. Otherwise, he was dead meat.

The path he was taking stretched out before him like a long, dark ribbon of earth. The little light cast from what sliver of moon showed from behind the clouds barely illuminated the path. So it was no wonder he couldn’t see the root jutting from the earth ahead of him.

Hi hit the ground hard. He lay there for a moment, stunned. He staggered back to his feet, though, knowing his fate if he laid still too long. Something wet, warm and sticky ran down the left side of his face. Belatedly he realized it was blood. His vision began to swim as drums pounded in his skull.

He took a sharp turn around a corner, nearly running into a piece of plywood with the words “Alex’s Guardian Service” spray-painted on it. A phone number was written just beneath it and a faded white arrow pointed the way back into the woods.

Well, maybe some good can come of me running blindly into this forest after all, the injured man thought with a sarcastic smirk.

“There he is!” another voice rang out from behind him, “Get him!”

“Crap,” he muttered putting on a fresh burst of speed powered by the panic he now felt. He ran doggedly down the path, determined to live this night through, if not the rest of his life.

Thirty breath taking minutes later, he finally reached the building. The old brick structure loomed impassively high above him. Two oak doors stood just before him in the center of the wall. Strangely enough, the wall continued about a third of the way up the front of the building and it was designed to look like a door. Man, this person has weird taste in architecture, the man thought with a wry shake of his head.

He quickly opened the door and stepped inside the main hall, his chest heaving, as he tried to regain his bearings. He partially succeeded but the rest of his efforts were thwarted by the sheer size of the place. Before him stood two more doors, “Appointments Only” and “Walk-ins Welcome”.

Well, he thought, might as well go in the second door since I’ve never been here before. No telling how much of a stickler for the rules this place is. Images of him being thrown back out into the night on his butt flitted through his mind.

He opened the door. Inside he found a long empty hall lined with chairs and a lone girl sitting at the only other piece of furniture at the end of the hall. She was staring at a computer screen with an annoyed look on her face, typing something. She sighed and huffed as she rapidly typed something on the keyboard. The keys pounded away beneath her fingers.

Slowly, and with great effort, he forced himself to walk to the end of the young woman’s desk. “Hey, Kid, look I–” Jake started, only to be cut off by the woman behind the desk.

“Look, Bud, My name is Aly, it isn’t kid. And no you can’t see ‘the boss’ because she’s busy right now. So if you’ll just have a seat and wait I’m sure she’ll get to you as soon as possible.” Aly said in a condescending tone. She gave a flippant wave of her hand in obvious dismissal. So many riff-raff, so little time.

“Look, Aly, you don’t seem to understand my situation here. There’s a mob of drunken men chasing me so let me see your boss!” Jake demanded hotly.

“I’m sorry, sir, I–” She never finished that statement, though, for at that moment the doors flew open and the drunken mob rushed in.

Shouts of “There he is!”, “Get him!”, and “We got you now, Jake McCoy!” echoed from the mob. The incessant cry of “The boss’s got a bounty on his head!” only made matters worse as the drunken men thought of what they could do with the money they would collect from this little venture.

“I’m sorry, sirs, but I’m going to have to ask you to leave. This is a private residence and you are not welcome here!” Aly said, rounding her desk and smoothly sliding between the mob and the man at her back.

“Shut-up, girl,” said a man, backhanding her.

The blow sent her flying into the wall. She hit hard and with a sickening thump. She groaned loudly but stood up as if to fight the men. One of her arms hung in an awkward position and she was holding onto it for dear life. There was a large bruise starting to form on one side of her face. Her lips were rimmed with blue and her face was ashen. What little bit of air she was able to take in was labored and wheezing.

“So you haven’t learned your lesson have you?” one of the men sneered at her. “Well then I guess we’ll just have to teach it to you!” He advanced on her, allowing his leering gaze to travel her body.

“There is no need for that! She isn’t part of this, so just let her go!” Jake said as he put himself between Aly and the mob. He looked back over his shoulder to determine how much fighting room he had. Another strange door-looking wall loomed behind him. That seemed to be a common theme in this place.

His attention was quickly brought back to the situation when Aly cried for him to look out before a massive fist crashed into the side of his face. Jake hit the floor hard but staggered back up again, always making sure to keep himself between Aly and the mob.

Jake did his best to defend both himself and the young girl behind him, but it was no use. There were too many of them and not enough of him. He was knocked to the ground a final time. As several boots landed in his ribs, he lost the fight for consciousness. His vision turned black as he passed out.

Aly couldn’t bear to watch any longer as the man tried to protect himself and her at the same time. She turned to the door-looking wall behind her and began pounding on it. “Alexis! Alexis! Alexis please help! Alexis I’m scared, there’s a mob out here! Alexis...” She slumped to the floor sobbing. There was no way her sister would hear her through the thick door.

Suddenly, much to everyone’s surprise and Aly’s relief, the door opened. What was even more surprising, though, was the imposing figure who loomed in the door way.

“What the hell is going on in here?” Alexis shouted. “Aly, what’s the matter? Oh my god, what happened to you? Are you alright?” The older woman quickly knelt to the ground, gently running her fingers over the smaller girl’s body.

“The mob...Lexi, please help him!” an overwhelmed Aly sobbed. She lifted her good arm tiredly to point out the drunken mob before she collapsed against the knee of the giant woman.

It was then that Alexis noticed the drunken mob that was thoroughly beating up on a helpless man.

The young woman’s suspicions were aroused. Who was the man? What was he doing here? She looked down as her little sister gently tugged on her pant leg.

“Please, Lexi, please help him,” she begged. Tears filled her doe-brown eyes as she looked up at her older sister.

The older girl nodded. If Aly asked for his life, then it was enough to allay her suspicions, for now anyway.

Alexis decided on the swiftest course of action. Reaching out across the room, she gently moved the unconscious man into her hand before scooping up her sister. She cradled the two in the palm of her hand, placing her waist at their backs and her other hand in front of them.
Chapter End Notes:
okay, my first gts story. be nice. this was an original i wrote for my english teacher years back. that was waaay before i knew about gts and stuff. neway, i'm in the process of editing so i'm posting the first part. don't ask how many they'll be. ;D i'll tell you when i know. lol