- Text Size +
In a great Nordic Sea was a man (little more than age 20), who’d gone to set sail.
He had spent many years in pursuit of adventure and romance, to little avail.
With an ancestral sword, and a costume, which would have belonged to a late former Viking,
This young man, called Lee-John, left the shores of his home, on a search for a life to his liking.

After days on the water, he started some fishing, to restock the boat with supplies.
Well he caught quite a lot in the days which preceded adventure’s first hint of surprise.
(He’d been hoping to live what he’d read in the library, but nothing appeared to inspire it.)
Now a much larger ship came to rest by his own, with a crew at the will of a pirate.

He was grossly outnumbered, but challenged the pirate to dueling with old Viking blade.
Though he won, he soon realized that honour was absent, as further incursions were made.
He was now fighting three at a time, with defeat only inches away from his beanie.
Then from out of the depths rose a giant young woman all dressed in a paisley bikini.

She observed his predicament, standing secure, with her feet on the sea bed below.
Then she lifted the pirate and crew men away from Lee-John, and soon forced them to go.
He was grateful and watched, as the villains departed; with all of their swords and a truncheon
Ineffective against her. He used two days’ catches to serve her a large seafood luncheon.

“It’s the least I can do,” said the giant, “I’m Ambloome; and this (on the chain ‘round my neck)
Is an amulet, which has enabled my journeys to this world, with no traveller’s cheque.
I got married to someone called Lester, from your world; but one day he fell from a table.
I’m a widow, and glad to have saved you at least, though you were doing well with your sable.”

She went on, to explain that she wanted to make sure his memory wouldn’t grow dim,
And had come to his world, to recover from loss, and just recently taken a swim;
To discover the battle of Lee-John and pirate’s crew; finding displaced sense of meaning
In her saving a man (slightly younger than her) and providing great shoulders for leaning.

She invited Lee-John on an amulet journey to her world, so she could get dried.
They appeared (with his boat) in the palace’s pool, where the sailor and yesterday’s bride
Were each other’s new comforters, friends and protectors. The family had two generations
Of the widows (in Ambloome and Nonvor, her mother the queen) with the same deprivations.

Then an Ogre, who wanted to steal all the knowledge recorded within royal script,
Used a Sucker Fan, pulling the sheets of note paper, which hadn’t been fully equipped
With enough weighty words (to prevent them from flying away) written down in each chapter.
Thus the Ogre believed he could fathom his means to take over, and bask in great rapture.

Nonvor, Ambloome and Lee-John soon found the device. Then Lee-John went inside, with his sword.
He located a way to disable the whole thing, by cutting a wire and a cord.
With a Sucker Fan out of the way, they retrieved all their records, and briefly imprisoned
The mean Ogre, while Ambloome saw much of her husband in Lee-John, whose features were wizened.