- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The chapter is an altered version of Chapter IX of “Alice Through the Needle’s Eye” (which was author Gilbert Adair’s 1986 novel sequel to “Alice through the Looking-Glass”).

 

One pleasant day in Brobdingnag, Alice went walking for some time until she came to an open restaurant table in a beautiful garden. She was soon introduced to the owner/waitress, a giantess (Alice’s own current size) named Fronda.

 

“A customer at last,” said Fronda, “Would you like to sit down and order?”

 

Alice sat down and examined the menu. Some of the items seemed fairly familiar, but there was one which she had never even heard of before, let alone eaten. It was listed as Ric Cotter.

 

“Have you decided yet?” asked Fronda.

 

“What is the Ric Cotter?” asked Alice.

 

“We only have one of those, but it’s been available, ever since it arrived, as nobody has ordered it yet,” said Fronda, “It’s made of meat. Would you like to have a look at it?”

 

“Yes please,” said Alice.

 

“You heard the young lady, Ric,” said Fronda.

 

There was a small box shaped object on the far end of the table, which had not caught Alice’s attention so far. Now a tiny door opened on it, and out of it stepped a teenaged boy who was the same size as she had been before her discovery of Wonderland, Looking-Glass Land and Brobdingnag. The boy walked across the tablecloth, until he stopped right in front of Alice.

 

“Good afternoon, Richard Cotter at your service,” he said politely, and then, inspecting her from top to tummy, he added in a doubtful voice, “I must say I was expecting somebody a little more enthusiastic.”

 

“Enthusiastic,” Alice repeated, “But why?”

 

“Because I’m fully ready to be eaten,” the boy replied, “Will you be able to eat me all? That’s what I’d like to know. For I don’t fancy having part of me left behind.”

 

Alice tried to speak, but she could only sit and gasp. She had occasioned in the past, to satisfy her hunger with the pursuit of small boys from her original homeland. As a child, she had been told by her governess to eat up all her food, but she had never been so instructed by the food itself. It was a unique opportunity that now presented itself to her.

 

“I promise I’ll do my best, and keep at it until you’re all gone” she managed to say at last, “And I’ll be sure to keep you in one portion, so that you go down all at once.”

 

“Well I can’t ask fairer than that, can I?” said the boy in a kindlier tone of voice.

 

“So how do you come to be here asking me to eat you?” asked Alice.

 

“I came to this land through a hole, a Wonderland, and a Looking-Glass Land,” said Ric.

 

“Why so did I,” said Alice, “I was once your size too. We must be fellow citizens of England.”

 

“Most assuredly,” said Ric, “A giant lady helped me to go from the dolls house on this other side of the Looking-Glass out into Brobdingnag.”

 

“It must have been before I came. I do that task myself now. I usually only eat boys when I’m frightfully hungry, but I’m happy to take you on in this case.”

 

“It’s about time,” said Ric, “I came and offered my services as a main course to Fronda, but not one of these giantesses has been interested in eating me. To think that a young lady from my own country is now a giantess and is the first girl to provide the kind of appetite that I have been seeking.”

 

Alice began briefly to wonder about the likelihood of eating someone who had so politely offered himself to her and then decided to go ahead with it.

 

Fronda left them to talk for a while, and then Alice daintily placed the tiny boy into her mouth and slowly began to gulp. When she had swallowed the boy, she thanked the owner/waitress, and then got up to leave.

 

“Don’t you have any distinction?” asked Fronda, “I was expecting a tip at least.”

 

“Well I suppose you could change the colour of the table cloth,” said Alice.

 

“That’s an excellent tip. Thank you. I hadn’t thought of that,” said Fronda, “I’m glad you enjoyed your meal. I’m sure that Ric enjoyed it too.”

 

Alice left the curious restaurant and returned home.