- Text Size +

The boy was approaching seven years old and his name was Skip.

 

“Would you like these?” asked Pem, “They’ll do wondrous things.”

 

“Thank you,” said Skip, “I’ll give you my yoyo.”

“You keep it. I don’t need anything in return,” said Pem.

 

Skip put the Wonder Beans into his shirt pocket and walked to school. It was in a large country school house. There were only two teachers: Miss Agnes Jensen, who was 23 with brown hair and Miss Fern Shields who was 35 with blond hair. Miss Jensen taught the infants class, which was kindergarten to 2nd grade. Miss Shields taught a combined 3rd to 6th grade class. There were two rooms, linked by an adjoining door.

 

At the beginning of lunch break, Skip walked out and sat on the seat beside Miss Jensen in an isolated part of the school. Miss Shields was on duty, which left Miss Jensen free to sit by herself.

 

“Hello, Skip,” she said, “Have you come to keep me company?”

 

Skip didn’t fully understand it at his age, but the boy had a massive crush on Miss Jensen.

 

“Would you like one of my beans?” he asked, taking one out of his pocket.

 

“Thank you. I’d love to try one,” said Miss Jensen.

 

She opened her mouth, inviting him to put the bean in. He slipped it onto her tongue and slid his finger out, enjoying the moist touch of her tongue. No sooner had she swallowed the bean, and Miss Jensen suddenly grew to gigantic size. She crouched down behind the tall pine trees, so that the other students would not see her yet.

 

“Oh!” said Skip, “The boy who gave me the beans said they would do something wondrous. They must have made you a giant.”

 

“Oh dear, my hands are too big to take my sandwiches out of my lunch bag,” said Miss Jensen.

 

“I can put them into your mouth for you and push them to the back of your tongue, so you can swallow them,” said Skip.

 

“Thank you, but put the rest of your beans in my hand first, and I’ll throw them away,” said Miss Jensen, “Otherwise, they might fall out of your shirt pocket and make me even bigger, if I swallow them while you’re in my mouth.”

 

She put out her huge hand, and Skip climbed onto it and gently placed all the beans in the centre of her palm. Then he stepped off her hand onto the grass. Miss Jensen flung the beans far away into the field. Then he took her lunch bag in hand and she lifted him up, while she sat, and placed him gently onto her lower lip. He climbed into her mouth and took out the sandwiches. Skip put them down on her tongue, and slid them to the back. There was no more excuse to stay in her mouth, but he would have loved to. He climbed back out onto her awaiting hand and looked at his now gigantic teacher’s mouth.