- Text Size +

Come to think of it, it was wider than an adult’s body. Each leaf was as large as a surfboard, and most of them were wider. He eased his way up onto the first leaf and began climbing. It was late in the afternoon by the time he reached the top, which came out in a beautiful gigantic garden. It surely would have been made for a lady the size that Miss Jensen had become. He walked through a flowerbed, which had flowers the size of the trees that he remembered from his own country.

 

When he reached the other side of the flowerbed, he looked out at a seat, upon which sat the beautiful giant Miss Jensen. She was reading a book, which was positioned between himself and her eyes. It blocked him from her line of sight.

 

“Miss Jensen!” he called.

 

She put the book down on the garden seat beside her, and looked down.

 

“Hello!” said, “You must be one of my students … Yes, it’s Jeremy.”

 

“I climbed up the beanstalk on the last day of school. Nobody knows I’m here except you.”

 

“It’s nice to see you again.”

 

“There’s a new teacher now, but I missed you.”

 

She picked him up and placed him in the lap of her dress.

 

“I’ve missed you too, but I stayed here, because this is the Land of Brobdingnag. Everyone here is born my size. The lady who owned this house moved away and let me have it.”

 

“Well I’m here now. So I guess you can eat me.”

 

“You don’t have to worry about that anymore. That last day I was at school I was so hungry that I had to eat some of you. The beanstalk must have grown from the beans I threw away, after Flip gave them to me. When I couldn’t find the rest of you, I stood up and looked around and saw the beanstalk.”

 

“We were hiding in the cellar. Miss Shields took us down through a trapdoor in her classroom.”

 

“No wonder you all seemed to disappear. I would have eaten quite a few more of you. I climbed up here and found this land. I’ve had all the giant sized food I’ve needed since then.”

 

“I was watching you, when you were about to eat that last boy. I didn’t get to see you put him in your mouth, because Miss Shields dragged me away from the window. She thought you’d catch me next.”

 

“I probably would have,” said Miss Jensen, “But I don’t need any more little boys for food now.”

 

“Did the boys you ate taste as nice as the giant food?”

 

“They were actually tastier,” said Miss Jensen.

 

“Would you like to eat me anyway?” asked Flip.

 

“I’d love to. But why would you want me to do that?” asked Miss Jensen.

 

“I wanted you to catch me that day, but Miss Shields took me away. I think it would be nice to be eaten up by your giant mouth.”