- Text Size +

“I’m Jack. I’m pleased to meet you,” he said, for want of a more distracting comment.

 

“Not nearly as pleased as I am, to be sure,” said the giantess.

 

Then Jack saw the slightest movement of her dress, as she began to bend her legs. He turned and sprinted the few paces needed and dived and rolled under the cupboard. He kept going until he was under the centre of it, and saw the giantess lie down and reach in with her hand. Soon she could reach no further, as her arm was too wide. The sight of her trying was quite magnificent. He looked at her full smiling lips and the confident amusement in her eyes.

 

“I don’t think there’s anywhere you can go from here,” said the giantess.

 

“You’re probably right,” said Jack, and then he remembered Serena’s advice: to tell her of his feelings if she caught him.

 

Technically she hadn’t caught him yet, but there was nothing to be lost by telling her now. She was already well and truly alerted to his presence.

 

“Forgive me. I didn’t return your introduction. My name is Mrs Grimble,” she said.

 

“I was hiding in the house last week, when you found my footprints on the carpet,” he said, “I heard your verse about wanting to eat me, and I know that you’re going to do it. I stayed away for as long as I could, but today I wanted to come and see you again, even with the risks involved, because I am completely in love with you, Mrs Grimble.”

 

“Really?” she said, her face beaming more adorably than ever in at his hiding place, “I’m very very flattered, Jack. I’ll be very grateful for the ramifications of your feelings, when I’m eating you up soon.”

 

Suddenly he felt something on his back and turned to see that she had reached under the front of the cupboard with her other hand and the hairbrush, which had the narrow shape and suitable length to cut off his escape. She brushed him towards her other hand, smiling at the way she had surprised him.

 

“That was a clever trick, Mrs Grimble. I forgot about the hairbrush,” said Jack.

 

“You’re very gracious in defeat,” said Mrs Grimble, taking him in her hand and lifting him as she stood up, “If I’m going to look my best while cooking and eating my little admirer, I think I’d better finish brushing my hair, don’t you?”

 

“Thank you for the thought,” he said, as she gently placed him on top of the cupboard.

 

Jack watched the beautiful giantess styling her hair all for his benefit.

 

 

Within Looking-Glass Land, Alice and Robert came to a house and went inside. The floor of the main room was made up like a giant chess board, with life size pieces in various positions. Against the eighth row was a wall which was in fact a looking-glass. Alice and  Robert walked over to the looking-glass wall and found that they were able to pass through the looking-glass wall and into an identical room with other chess pieces in the reverse positions, to make a mirror image of the room that they had just left.

 

Suddenly the roof was lifted off the house, and they saw a giant woman holding the roof. She gently lifted them out of what, in this world, was a dolls house, set them down on the carpet and replaced the roof in its position.

 

“Is this your house?” asked Alice, as she suddenly grew to giant size.

 

“No. I just stop by to help visitors from Looking-Glass Land out of the house,” said the lady, “Nobody lives in the house actually. You’re welcome to use it, if you keep an eye out for visitors now and then.”

 

“Thank you,” said Alice.

 

“Does your friend grow to my size too?” asked the lady.

 

“No. Sometimes he shrinks even smaller,” said Alice, “Thank you very much for this nice house.”

 

“See that you enjoy it then,” said the lady and left.

 

Alice put Robert on her shoulder and took a walk out into the garden. The property was expansive. They walked for a while, and then noticed that a girl was sitting in the neighbouring garden, quite a long way off, even to Alice, playing a harp.