- Text Size +

While Alice and the White Robert were making themselves at home in Brobdingnag, Mrs Grimble finished styling her hair, and then took Jack into the dining room. She put him on the table, which had golden legs with several stylish designs patterned into them. Mrs Grimble was clearly used to enjoying the best of everything. She had eaten a number of boys before Jack, and would not be about to spare him because of his crush on her.

 

She sat down and lifted Jack up towards her face.

 

She kissed Jack affectionately several times. The feel of her giant lips against his face went a long way to making the whole experience worthwhile.

 

“You thought you’d only dream of that, didn’t you?” she asked.

 

“It was wonderful,” said Jack, “I love you so much, Mrs Grimble.”

 

“In a way I love you too, Jack, but it won’t be long now before I really love eating you. I’ll just go and let Serena know I’ve caught another little boy and ask her to leave us in privacy. I’ll see you soon, you delicious little darling.”

 

“Could I have a few licks to prepare me for …?”

 

“I’d love to,” said Mrs Grimble.

 

She put Jack in front of her mouth again, and out came her marvellous tongue. It licked him, almost passionately several times, and then withdrew completely inside her mouth again.

 

Jack was sure that he had won her trust. She would not guess that he had been studying the golden legs, as she approached the table. Jack had noticed that the designs made excellent hand and foot holds. If he could climb the beanstalk, he would have no trouble climbing down those legs.

 

He watched the beautiful giantess walk out of the room, and knew that she would be headed in the direction of the beanstalk, in order to briefly interrupt Serena’s harp playing. He darted across the table, climbed quickly down the golden leg and ran out a different way, taking a wide route around the garden, so that Mrs Grimble would not see him on her way back to the dining room and recapture him. By the time he was nearing the beanstalk, she had gone back into the castle, noticed his absence, and come running out again.

 

Serena, it seemed, was not there. She had finished playing her harp and gone inside to her own room after her mother had finished talking to her.

 

Jack saw Mrs Grimble running through the garden. He was much closer to the beanstalk, but she had much longer legs. It would be a fairly even race. Jack ran for his life, and just made it to the beanstalk ahead of her. He quickly descended below the clouds, and then heard her voice.

 

“You’d better come back. I could climb down after you, Jack!” she called.

 

“Your weight would easily break the beanstalk, and you’d fall to your death,” he said.

 

“It was worth a try,” said Mrs Grimble.

 

“I’ll miss you very much,” called Jack.

 

“I’ll miss you too, especially at meal times,” said Mrs Grimble, “You’re not just the only one who loved me. You’re the only one who got away.”

 

“Maybe I’ll chance sneaking back some time,” he called.

 

“I’ll be waiting, Jack,” said Mrs Grimble, “… I’ll be waiting.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

More to come, maybe, in the near future