- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The Miss Yoop saga in this and upcoming chapters is based on the story of Mrs Yoop the Giantess, told by L Frank Baum in his novel “The Tin Woodman of Oz.” This is partly a spoiler warning, except for the fact that I have changed large parts of it dramatically. I have also replaced Baum’s character Polychrome with someone else (wait and see) and made Miss Yoop single and large enough to fit someone inside her mouth, though I still imagine her facial features and fashion to be as depicted in John R Neill’s illustrations.

In the Marvelous Land of Oz, a boy from Gillikin Country named Woot the Wanderer set out on a long walk through the Land of Oz, in the hope of meeting someone who might one day be his wife. He set off across the country in an easterly direction. Before long, he reached Rolling Lands, which were a succession of hills and valleys where constant climbs and descents were required. That journey now became tedious, because on each climbing hill, he found before him nothing in the valley below it – except grass or weeds or stones.

 

Up and down he went for hours, with nothing to relieve the monotony of the landscape, until finally, when he had topped a higher hill than usual, he discovered a cup-shaped valley before him, in the centre of which stood an enormous castle, built of purple stone. The castle was high and broad and long, but had no turrets and towers. So far as Woot could see, there was but one small window and one big door on each side of the great building.

 

“This is strange,” wondered Woot, I had no idea such a big castle existed in this Gillikin Country. I wonder who lives here. Perhaps, if I go nearer, I shall find out whether anybody lives here or not. Looks to me as if nobody lives here.”

 

On he went, and when he reached the centre of the valley, where the great stone castle stood, it was beginning to grow dark. So he hesitated as to what to do.

 

“If friendly people happen to live here,” thought Woot, “I shall be glad of a bed; but should enemies occupy the place, I prefer to sleep out here on the ground; and if nobody at all lives here, then I can enter and take possession, and make myself at home.”

 

While thinking, he went nearer to the great doors, which were many times higher than any he had seen in a house before. Then he discovered, engraved in big letters upon a stone over the doorway, the words: YOOP CASTLE.

 

Woot decided to slip under the door, and made his way into the castle by those means. He found himself in a fairly dark hallway, and stumbled along a stone passage, not knowing what danger was likely to befall him. Suddenly a soft glow enveloped him. It grew brighter, until he could see his surroundings distinctly. He had reached the end of the passage, and before him was another huge door. He slipped under this one as well, and observed a big chamber, the walls of which were lined with plates of pure gold, highly polished.

 

This room was also lighted, although he could discover no lamps. In the centre of it was a giant  sized table at which sat an immense woman. She was clad in a silver dress embroidered with pretty floral designs over this splendid raiment. The table at which she sat was spread with a white cloth and had golden dishes upon it. So the Wanderer saw that he had surprised the giantess while she was eating her supper.

 

She said in a voice that was big and deep but not especially unpleasant:

 

“Why don’t you come right in, you foolish stranger?”

 

Being thus urged, Woot approached the table, until he stood where he faced the great giantess, level with her ankles. She continued eating, but smiled in a curious way as she looked at him, which didn’t please Woot at all.