- Text Size +

Bruno, one of Charles Dodgson’s two goblin friends, was exploring in the field one day, when he was found by a beautiful housewife, who was enjoying a picnic.

 

“My name is Pottiffera. It’s nice to meet you,” she said, “I get a little lonely while my husband’s at work. Maybe you could do something about that?”

 

“Are you referring to something romantic?” asked Bruno.

 

“Of course I am. Whatever did you think?” asked the woman.

 

“I’m flattered by your offer,” said Bruno, “But I am a close friend of the Reverend Dodgson, and I have learned that it is wise that I don’t believe in any form of adultery.”

 

“What harm can it do you, or me for that matter?” asked the woman.

 

“The Bible explains that a husband and wife should be faithfully to each other until the day one of them dies,” said Bruno, “The story of King David’s affair with Bathsheba (the wife of Uriah the Hittite) shows just how much hurt was caused to everyone involved. It’s a sin against the creator of the world, who designed the romance concept in the first place.”

 

“You’re surprisingly well spoken for such a young goblin boy,” said the housewife, “but I’m not doing this to upset God. I just want us to have a little fun together.”

 

“But it would upset God,” said Bruno, “It would be obvious rebellion against His laws, against one of His Ten Commandments in fact. It would upset me too. God didn’t just put those laws there to inhibit us. He knew what we’re designed to cope with and what will hurt us.”

 

“Couldn’t you just do it, and then tell God you’re sorry afterwards? Aren’t your sins forgiven?” she asked.

 

“They are, if you’re a Christian, but the New Testament book of Romans says that forgiveness and grace are not a reason to go out and sin to your heart’s content. And would I really be sorry and making a true repentance if I plan it back here with you, before I commit the sin?” asked Bruno.

 

He was finding it exceptionally difficult to stand firm, with such a beautiful and persistent woman doing all she could to tempt him. Yet he knew he would only make life worse for himself by giving in.

 

“What have you really got to lose?” she asked.

 

“I’ve nothing to gain. I can’t find my own happiness by undermining your husband’s, and yours as well. When it’s over and done with, you’ll still be married to him-“

 

“You don’t know that,” she said.

 

“I don’t want to be the cause of a broken marriage either,” said Bruno, “Even if you left him and married me when I was old enough, I would then spend the rest of my life worrying that if you left him, you could one day leave me for another. You’ll miss out on the joy of having stayed true to your husband, and he will no longer have a pure wife. To say nothing of how impure I will have made myself. You’re a beautiful woman, Pottiffera, but I must decline your offer and encourage you to stay true to your husband.”

 

“I guess it’s my loss,” she said.

 

“It’ll be your gain,” said Bruno.

 

He watched her pack up her picnic basket and walk across the field, out of his life. He was a little crushed, but he knew it was better in the long run to obey God. Bruno continued walking on his way, and was soon found by a young girl, much closer to his own age.

 

“Hello!” she said, “My name is Gretel. You wouldn’t like to ride on my shoulder for a while, would you?”

 

“I’d like that a great deal,” said Bruno.