- Text Size +

 “But Ozma is the ruler of all of Oz, including this valley,” said Woot.

 

“What I do here in my own private castle in this secluded valley – where no one comes but fools like you – can never be known to your Princess Ozma,” returned the giantess, “Do not seek to frighten me from my purpose, and do not allow yourself to be frightened, for it is best to meet bravely what cannot be avoided. I am now going to bed, and in the morning I will put you into a delicious recipe and eat you. Good night, and pleasant dreams.”

 

Saying this, Miss Yoop rose from her chair and walked out, closing the door, and went into another room. So heavy was the tread of the giantess, that even the walls of the big stone castle trembled as she stepped. She closed her bedroom door.

 

“The big woman might have given me a bed,” thought Woot, until he realised that the cushion seat of the armchair was at least as soft as any mattress. He lost no time in slipping down and was soon fast asleep.

 

Morning found him still unsuccessful in his quest to escape. After a while, the giantess came from her bedroom, wearing another dress that was quite as elaborate as the one in which she had been attired the evening before.

 

“Good morning,” she said, “The next thing on the program is to cook you for my breakfast.”

 

She carried him to the kitchen and put him down on top of the oven.

 

“I suppose you think that after I have enjoyed the taste of you in my mouth, I might turn you loose, but that would be impossible to consider,” she remarked, “Nothing I taste in my mouth ever comes out again uneaten.”

 

“Then please don’t put me into your mouth,” begged Woot, “For I am quite satisfied to remain here as your boyfriend if you would have me.”

 

“I am not expecting to satisfy you, but intend to please myself,” she declared, “and my pleasure is to cook you and eat you. For, if by chance your friends came in search of you, not one of them would know where you had gotten to.”

 

Her tone was so positive, that they knew it would be useless to protest. The woman was adorable to look at. Her face was not cruel. Her voice was big, but gracious in tone. Yet her words showed that she possessed a merciless heart, and no pleadings would alter her purpose.

 

“Have you decided what recipe to include me in?” asked Woot.

 

“Yes. I dreamed it all out while I was asleep. You seem like a very sweet fresh young man. So I shall put you into a sweet pavlova with fresh fruit.”

 

All she did was to reach up to the shelf and take down a pavlova that she had cooked the day before. It was the size of a large shed to him, but he saw her large arms lifting it down with ease and placing it on the oven top beside him.

 

“Madam,” said Woot hastily, “I consider this action very impolite. It may even be called rude, considering that I am your guest.”

 

“You are not a guest, for I did not invite you here,” she replied.

 

“Perhaps not, but I craved hospitality. I threw myself upon your mercy, so to speak, and now I find you have no mercy. Therefore, if you will excuse his expression, I must say it is downright unfair to take my freedom and future away and use me in a meal in which I have no wish to partake.”

 

“Are you trying to make me angry?” she asked, frowning.

 

“By no means,” said Woot, “I’m just trying to make you act more ladylike.”

 

“Oh indeed! In my opinion, Mr Wanderer, you are now acting like a sour grape. So, as a grape in a pavlova you shall be treated.”