- Text Size +

One day, while the Pied Pipe Eddy and the White Robert were out on a walk in the Valley of the Giantesses, Serena and Alice were having a girls day at Alice’s house. Alice took Serena with her, when she went to perform her regular duty of checking the dolls house room, and looked down at the mirror that linked Brobdingnag with Looking-Glass Land. Alice saw that a 20 year old man with a slim turnip-shaped body had stepped through the mirror and was now standing on the chess board. He stared in glee, when he saw Alice.

 

“A giantess! How wonderful,” he said, “I’m called the Mock Turnip, because I truly desire to be eaten by a beautiful giantess, which has made the subject of much mockery in Wonderland.”

 

Alice lifted him out of the dolls house and onto the carpet of the giant room. He was even more pleased to meet Serena as well.

 

Alice hadn’t met the Mock Turnip, when she’d been in Wonderland. So she asked the Mock Turnip what had brought him there.

 

“The Queen of Hearts.

She made some tarts,
Which she began to eat.

I wished that I

Were tart or pie,

Because her mouth looked neat,” sang the Mock Turnip.

 

Alice told him how she was in Wonderland for a while and almost ate the White Robert.

 

“I think you’re a wonderful girl,” said the Mock Turnip, “Being eaten by a giantess as myself would be much more enjoyable than being eaten by a regular sized queen as a tart.”

 

“Would you like me to eat you myself?” asked Alice, “I’m not hungry, but I’d be happy to do it as a personal favour to you.”

 

“It’s very kind of you to offer,” said the Mock Turnip, “But I’m now 20, just a little older than you. It would be nicer to be younger than a beautiful woman who ends up eating me.”

 

“I know what you mean,” said Alice, “I wouldn’t have enjoyed you as much as the Wonderland Court Official I ate after the trial or the Lost Boy I ate at Mrs Grimble’s banquet.”

 

“Who’s Mrs Grimble?” asked the Mock Turnip.

 

“She’s my mother,” said Serena, “And I’m sure that she would like very much to eat you! She’s eaten lots of little boys who were hoping to avoid the idea. She almost ate my little friend Jack, but he escaped, and now she’s in love with him instead. She might even marry him when he grows up. I’m sure you’d like her.”

 

“Why don’t we ask her over for a tea party in the garden?” said Alice, “And the Mock Turnip can hide among the flowers and observe your mother eating strawberries and cream. If he thinks she’s the one he’d like to eat him, he can come out and introduce himself? If not, I can have similar tea parties for Olda and other giantesses I met at the party. Miss Yoop was disappointed that she didn’t come to Brobdingnag until after the banquet.”