- Text Size +

 “I’d heard rumours among a select few women in the village, that little goblins lived in these parts,” she said, “But I didn’t expect to meet one.”

 

“I haven’t met the goblins myself, so far,” said Pixi, “I’m a pixie.”

 

“Do you live nearby?” she asked.

 

“Yes. I thought you might like to eat me.”

 

“Why do you say that?” she asked politely, a little confused.

 

“I saw you trying to eat the boy next door the other day. You lifted his house up and said you were going to gobble him. But he was too big. So you licked him and put him down.”

 

“We were just acting out a story in a play,” she said.

 

“Well I am a real pixie, and I’m so small that you could eat me. Would you like to chase me through your garden and catch me? I promise I’m very tasty.”

 

“I believe you,” she said, “But would you really like me to eat you all up?”

 

“Yes please,” he said, “Your mouth looks lovely, Mrs Parkin.”

 

“I suppose it wouldn’t be too difficult,” she said, “I can finish my book later. Do you need time to run away?”

 

“Just a minute or so,” he said, and ran into the garden bed.

 

“Here I come,” she called after a minute had passed.

 

He saw her running around the garden, looking everywhere for him, until she found him. The sight of her lovely hand reaching down in amongst the flowers for him was thrilling.

 

“I’ve caught you, little Pixie,” she said, and lifted him high up and licked him.

 

This time it was her tongue touching his tiny form! It was spectacular.

 

“How was that?” she asked, sitting down with him.

 

“Very good,” said Pixi, “Can you finish eating me now, please?”

 

“I thought you were just playing a game. Do you really want me to gobble you down?”

 

“Yes please, Mrs Parkin. I would like that very much.”

 

She looked a little puzzled, but to his delight, she put him into her mouth anyway. He was just getting comfortable on her tongue, when she suddenly opened her mouth and took him out again.

 

“I knew something was concerning me a little,” she said, “I just realised that we haven’t been properly introduced. How did you know my name? You’ve called me Mrs Parkin twice, which I never told you.”

 

“I …”

 

She waited for an answer, and he was unable to think of a response.

 

“There’s something awfully familiar about you,” she said, “Yet I don’t know how I could have seen you before. I’ve never met any of the little folk until today.”

 

She held him right in front of her eyes and looked closely at his face.

 

“Pixi! It’s you! No wonder you knew my name. How did you become so small?”

 

He told her of his visit down the Robert Hole and the effects of the Wonderland cake, although he was not aware of the names of those things.

 

“It’s given you an astonishing ability,” said Mrs Parkin, “But you must be careful when using it to play games. I might have swallowed you just now.”

 

“That’s alright, Mrs Parkin. I asked you to swallow me.”

 

“Yes, that’s right, you did!” she said and stared at him in bewilderment, “But why would you ask me to do such a thing?”

 

“Oh Mrs Parkin, I have loved your tongue ever since I saw you eating that salad a week after you first came here.”

 

He explained how subsequent events had either instilled or awakened his desire to be eaten by his lovely governess.