- Text Size +

In a short time, the three giant women were out of sight.

 

“It mustn’t happen,” said Charlie, “We’ve got to stop them. We can’t just stand here and do nothing.”

 

“There’s not a thing we can do,” said the BFG Woozly, “We are helpless.”

 

“We’ve absolutely got to stop them. Take me down and we’ll chase after them and warn everyone in England they’re coming.”

 

“Ridiculous and impossible. Miss Yoop alone has a huge appreciation for little boys.”

 

“Will she snatch one out of bed, while he is sleeping?”

 

“Like a nut from a shell,” said Woozly.

 

“I can’t bear to think of it,” Charlie cried.

 

“Then don’t,” said Woozly, “For years I have sat here every night, while they have gone down to England. I have felt sad for the boys they were going to gobble down. But I had to get used to it.”

 

“Do you always know where they’re going?” asked Charlie.

 

“Always. Every night they walk through the garden towards the beanstalk, talking loudly about their destination.”

“Then we’ve got to go after them,” said Charlie.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I will never show myself to little Englanders. They would put me in a zoo.

 

“Nonsense. Some of them are kind indeed, like the Queen. I’m sure she would listen to me, except that I could never get into her palace to see her … unless a giantess carried me past her guards.”

 

Finally the Big Friendly Giantess Woozly agreed to take Charlie down the beanstalk and use her size to quickly cover the distance of the journey to London.

 

“A lot of little boys are no longer sleeping in their beds tonight,” said BFG on the way down.

 

Charlie felt quite shocked. To think that this had been going on for years, and nobody knew where the boys had gone to, after they’d vanished.

 

When they reached the palace garden, Woozly simply stepped over the guards, unnoticed in the dark, and lowered Charlie gently into the Queen’s bedroom window. Charlie awoke the Queen and pointed to the window. The Queen soon met the giantess Woozly. Since she could not deny the first hand evidence of the existence of the benevolent giantess Woozly, she had no trouble believing that the growing rumours of disappearances of English boys was explained by the story that BFG Woozly and Charlie now told to her.

 

“Well I always did think that any boy called Charlie was well worth listening to,” said the Queen.

 

It took the Queen a few minutes to explain the situation to her military men. They then invaded the Valley of the Giantesses in Brobdingnag during the day, while the giantesses were sleeping off the effects of their nocturnal boy hunt. The Queen’s forces found the three giantesses (even Miss Yoop) sleeping in the sun on the back lawn of Ann’s castle, not far from the top of the beanstalk.

 

They tied huge chains around the giantesses and locked them tight.

 

Eventually the giantesses awoke and looked across at Charlie, the Queen, and the soldiers, all of them healthy young men in their 20s.

 

Ann licked her lips and managed to stand up, but could only jump around with her feet together.

 

“I’ll soon be back with a tool to cut these chains, and then we’ll be after all of you,” said Ann, “And you won’t be getting away then, because I can run 50 times faster than you.”