- Text Size +

The three giantesses began hopping their way into the castle.

 

“If at first you don’t cut weed, slice, slice again,” said the Queen, “Down the beanstalk, troops.”

 

“It’ll be faster, if I carry you down,” said BFG.

 

“I’m afraid not, young woman,” said the Queen, “For you will not be able to climb back up again after the action which we’re about to take.”

 

“It looks like this is goodbye then,” said BFG, “But there is another beanstalk that leads to Miss Yoop’s garden. I’d better take some of your soldiers to the top of that one. They’ll never find it in time, if you go down this one and try to find it from England.”

 

“So be it,” said the Queen, “Men, you’ve all been briefed. You know what to do.”

 

So the Queen, Charlie, and half the military men went scurrying down the first beanstalk, which linked the garden of Ann’s castle with the field where Jack had planted it centuries earlier. The other half were quickly carried by BFG, as Woozly snuck off to Miss Yoop’s castle and headed down her beanstalk.

 

Both parties knew from their briefing, that the phrase ‘If at first you don’t cut weed, slice, slice again’ was a cue to cut down the beanstalk, and failing that, to employ plan B. When they reached the bottom, they took their cutting tools and attempted to cut through the beanstalks, but found that the centuries of growth had made the beanstalks not only strong enough to support the weight of giantesses, but also too thick to cut through. 

 

Plan B stood for Plan Bomb. The special forces teams planted several sticks of dynamite at the bases of the beanstalks, wedging them tightly between stems and leaves, and lit the fuses. They ran for their lives, and watched the beanstalk foundations blown to pieces, causing the beanstalks to topple down.

 

“Well,” said the Queen, “As no giantesses have come tumbling down with the beanstalk remains, we can only assume that the three giant women were unable to remove their chains in time.”

 

In time, the giantesses might learn of the other two routes to England. One was the Swift Mist warp, but that floated high in the air, and would only be used by the Spindrift for the All American Youth Flight in 1983. This would lead to Barry Lockeridge being eaten by an enlarged and hungry Betty Hamilton, and various other gobblings. The other route was the dolls house link to Looking-Glass Land in the house that Mrs Farrer inherited from one of the descendants of her ancestor Alice. Yet neither only the once adopted Ann had the ability to shrink back to what was actually her original earth size, as a result of having once eaten Wonderland cake. Whether or not she would try to gain access to the dolls house at tiny size and go through Looking-Glass Land and Wonderland and up the Robert Hole to England, and what she might perpetrate after doing so … well that is another story which may or may not be told later.

 

The Queen took the opportunity to remind the military men, that the entire Gobbling Giantesses Affair came under the Official Beanstalks Act, and insisted that they not breathe a word of it to anyone.

 

Charlie returned to his orphanage and thought of all the boys who had been awoken in the night, only to find themselves on their way into the mouths and stomachs of beautiful giantesses. He thought how fortunate he’d been to have escaped, and how close he had come to not escaping. Then he realised, that in way, he had been better off, than those who had never met the giantesses, never even heard of them. Ann’s mouth was more beautiful than Woozly’s, and he had been inside it, on her very tongue … and had escaped to remember it.