- Text Size +

Then June arose and spoke:

 

“Respected jury and your dearly beloved Majesty, I ask you not to judge this prisoner unfeelingly. I do not think the girl can be guilty, and surely it is unkind to accuse a luncheon of being a crime. Alice is the sweet friend of a lovely lady whom we all admire. Beauty and friendliness are her chief virtues. Look at her intelligent eyes.”

 

Here Alice closed her eyes sleepily, while June continued.

 

“Gaze at her smiling countenance.”

 

Here Alice stared in mockery and put out her tongue.

 

“Mark the tender pose of her soft hands.”

 

Here Alice clenched her fists in defiance.

 

“Would such a sweet girl be guilty of eating a cute little dwarf? No. A thousand times, no,” June concluded.

 

“Oh cut it short,” said Alice, “You’ve talked long enough.”

 

“I’m trying to defend you,” remonstrated June.

 

“Then say something sensible,” retorted Alice, “Tell them it would be foolish for me to eat the dwarf, because I had sense enough to know it would raise a row if I did. But don’t try to make out that I’m too sweet to eat a cute little dwarf if I could do it and not be found out. I imagine he would taste mighty good.”

 

“Perhaps it would, to the one who eats,” said June, “Take this into consideration, jurors, and you will readily conclude that the defendant is wrongfully accused and should be set at liberty.”

 

When June sat down, nobody applauded her, for her arguments had not been very convincing. Few believe that she had proved Alice’s innocence. As for the jury, the members whispered to each other for a few minutes. Then the forewoman slowly arose and said:

 

“Teenage girls often ignore convention. So they eat whatever pleases them. The jury believes that the girl known as Alice is guilty of eating the dwarf known as Bashful.”

 

The judgement of the jury was received with great applause, although Jean was sobbing miserably at the apparent guilt of her friend. In the past, they had been able to subtly eat people at Mrs Grimble’s banquet and on other occasions. Jean had opted against doing so, but had never expected the Queen to learn of one of the gobblings.

 

“Your Highness,” said June, rising again to a standing position, “See how easy it is for a jury to be mistaken. The dwarf could not have been eaten by Alice, for here it is.”

 

June took from her pocket a tiny dwarf, which she held aloft that all might see him clearly.

 

The Queen was delighted and exclaimed eagerly:

 

“Give me little Bashful, June.”

 

All the people cheered and clapped their hands, rejoicing that Alice had been proved innocent. As the Queen held the tiny dwarf in her hands, she said, “Let Alice go free. She is no longer a prisoner, but our good friend.”

 

“I refuse to be free,” said Alice, in a sharp voice, “unless Snow White can produce six more dwarfs. If she can produce but five, then this is not Bashful, but another dwarf.”