- Text Size +

1976 …

 

Robin Speed put the Boy Archer mask back on and managed to bring the sub to a halt, and fired its docking arrow, which hooked onto a small natural rock structure and kept the sub from drifting. He was about to work out how to get up onto the beach, when a gigantic teenaged girl came into view and stepped into the water, slipped on something beneath her foot and accidentally fell towards the sub.

 

Robin dived out of the way, as her unfortunate mishap crushed the Archer Sub completely. She sat up in the water, and saw him struggling to the surface.

 

“Hello!” she said, “I’m so sorry. You’re the first little visitor we’ve had near the palace in a long time.”

 

“I’m Robin,” he said.

 

“Pleased to meet you. I’m Donna. How did you get here? Our history says that the legendary Swift Mist is no longer at sea surface level.”

 

“I came through an amazing zone of bright blue water, unlike the green water that surrounded it deep beneath the surface,” said Robin, “Perhaps we should call it the Amazing Zone.”

 

“It sounds apt to me,” said Donna, “I’m one of the palace maidens. The palace has been extended exponentially over the last few centuries. In effect, there are several buildings now, each with their own gardens. Would you like me to take you up to see it?”

 

“Sure,” said Robin, trying to hide his concern about the loss of transport home, for the sake of being polite.

 

It turned out that he had come upon a different Brobdingnag beach to the one found centuries earlier by Gary Gulliver. This was not far from the first, but the Invisible Jetty and the Amazing Zone were Robin’s discoveries alone.

 

Donna picked Robin up gently, stood up and carried him up to her home, with the heat of the day drying her body off as she went. She wore a red and blue bathing suit and had long dark hair, but as she showed him her courtyard swimming pool and sat down beside it, Robin’s thoughts were focussed on his lost Archer Sub …

 

 

… Until Donna’s older sister came out to join her. The woman was taller, around 5 foot nine inches on a giant scale, he surmised instinctively, whereas Robin was 5 foot. The fact that she was a giantess, who would have been taller than him, even if she’d been one of his own people, seemed to excite Robin immensely.

 

Her hair was dark like Donna’s but slightly longer. She was slim, and had a long white neck, which Robin thought looked very pretty. She was wearing shoes, and a long dressing gown, with squares on it, each about a giant inch wide. However, this robe was undone, revealing her two piece swimming costume, separated vertically by her soft white tummy. Robin suddenly felt overwhelmed by the desire to cuddle up to it, and to climb up to her lovely neck and kiss it.

 

“Hi Donna,” she said, “I thought you were going swimming down on the beach … Oh. Who’s your little friend?”

 

“This is Robin, and this is my big sister Diana. I’m 14, but 11 years never kept us apart. As well as being sisters, we’re great friends.”

 

“I’m 14 too,” said Robin, gazing at Diana in a state of awe and wonder, as the stunning giant woman walked closer, “… I hope we’ll be great friends too, Diana.”

 

“I’m sure we will,” said Diana, with a warm friendly smile that made Robin keener than ever to touch her lovely cheeks, “So how did you come to be in Brobdingnag, Robin.”

 

The teenagers explained it to her.

 

“I was about to take a swim, but your problem seems more important,” said Diana, “I’ll take you to Queen Hyper-Lighter, to see what can be done.”

 

Diana and Donna took Robin to meet the latest Queen of Brobdingnag.

 

“So you call your profession that of a ‘Crime Fighter’?” asked the Queen, “What does that entail, exactly?”

 

“Well I’ve used my archery skills and vehicles and equipment to defeat robbers and vandals and the occasional wife basher,” said Robin.

 

“What’s that?” asked the Queen.

 

“What?” asked Robin.

 

“A wife basher,” said the Queen, “I’ve never heard the term before.”

 

“Oh, I’d best explain then,” said Robin, “The Bible tells wives to submit to the leadership and authority of their husbands as ordained by God. But it also commands men to be self-sacrificing servant leaders, like Christ himself. Some men have taken evil advantage of their physical prowess, to be tyrannical leaders of the marriages instead, and have hit or ‘bashed’ their wives, some even to death, before they were arrested and punished.”

 

“Are they all punished?” asked the Queen.

 

“Unfortunately, no. Many of the wives love their husbands in spite of it, and don’t report it. The men have often found legal loopholes to avoid charges or convictions too. When the system lets these women down, I feel it’s up to me to do something.”

 

“It’s the most evil thing I’ve ever heard of as a woman,” said Hyper-lighter, “What possible account could they give of such behaviour?”

 

“I think some or most of them are demon possessed at the time they’re doing it, but I can’t be sure,” said Robin, “Some are under the influence of alcohol. Some are responding in the wrong way to stressful situations.”

 

“And the law has actually failed to deal with such men in numerous instances?” asked the Queen.

 

“I regret to say so,” said Robin, “It almost makes me ashamed to be part of the male half of the population. Except that I’ve never even thought of hitting a lady.”

 

“I couldn’t imagine you would,” said Diana.

 

“I would like to send an emissary into your land, through this Amazing Zone you told me about. Her first mission would be to return you to your own land. Once there she can fight against this abuse of women. My scientists have recently perfected a pill which would give one of our maidens the power to reduce to your size and enlarge again at will. It was perfected after decades of analysis of an old sample of food with strange properties, which was brought from a place called Wonderland through another called Looking-Glass Land. I will also make available to the chosen maiden our new Purple Hypno Ray, which can hypnotize a subject for short periods of time. The gun can be clipped to a golden belt. The maiden will be able to use the prowess of her giant size to deal with any man from your land who ‘bashes’ his wife and bring the offender here, where I will work out what to do with him.”