- Text Size +

1978 …

 

The collection had continued to grow over the next two years, and then, one day, Queen Hyper-lighter, Diana and Robin were visited in the palace by none other than Dalia, the time traveller.

 

“I’ve been observing your work,” she said, “I am normally forbidden to interfere in an established timeline, but there is one man in human history who perpetrated an even greater evil on not one but several wives. I believe, that with the help of you two and your Purple Hypno Ray, we could prevent his atrocities, and yet leave the illusion of time remaining untampered with. Would you be willing to help me?”

 

“I never sanctioned time travel missions for Diana in the past,” said the Queen, “But only because it was not possible. Who is the evil man of whom you speak?”

 

“A 30th Century History publication known as Adventure Comments lists Nero, Hitler and Al Capone as the three most evil men in history, according to the writer of the magazine at any rate. I believe that a fourth should have been included. Not only was he six times an adulterer &/or murderer, but he did so by abusing the position of royalty that he held. His name was King Henry the Eighth,” said Dalia, and filled the others in on the facts.

 

Some of it was even news to Robin.

 

“It sounds as though he had more demons than anyone we’ve dealt with so far,” said the Queen, “I give permission for my palace maiden emissary Diana to accompany you and Boy Archer to the time and place of King Henry VIII and HEAD OFF his crimes before they’re committed in the way that Berna has outlined.”

 

Using her STM, Dalia took a reduced Winner Woman and her sidekick Boy Archer back to the very day that Henry VIII was about to remove his first wife. Boy Archer blasted everyone there with the Purple Hypno Ray and commanded them to believe that the woman had been executed. Winner Woman grew to giant size and carried the first wife away. Dalia took them to New York 1979, where the first wife became the first beneficiary of the Robin Speed Secret Foundation for Ex Wives of Henry VIII Who Would Have Been Executed Without a Little Time Tampering. She was given money to set herself up, and help to accustom herself to the 20th Century.

 

They began to repeat the exercise with the second wife.

 

“Can’t we just make off with Henry now and spare those women the thought of being married to this murderer?” asked Boy Archer, as soon as the Hypno Ray had been fired.

 


“Nothing would please me more, but that would corrupt the timeline quite noticeably,” said Dalia, “We have to wait until after we’ve secretly saved the sixth wife.”

 

When that had been achieved, Winner Woman walked out of Henry’s palace, while the others were still hypnotized.

 

“You are the most evil of all husbands,” said Winner Woman, “If it were not forbidden by Dalia’s people, I would remove you from this time and your authority as king. However, you are commanded by the power of the Purple Hypno Ray, never to marry again. The horror any of your last five wives must have felt, being chosen by you to replace their dead predecessor, having little or no say in the matter, and then watching their time come to an end, and losing lives that should have gone on longer, just to appease your depraved edicts. You will never ever marry again. The effects of this hypnotic command are for the rest of your life.”

 

And for that reason, Henry VIII never took a seventh wife.