- Text Size +

“I suppose so. I didn’t invite a partner to the dance,” said Mrs Grande.

 

He took her in his arms and danced with her for hours. As the lights were turned down later in the evening, and the softer music started, he took a chance on kissing Mrs Grande on the cheek. When she didn’t pull away, he glanced around and noticed that two couples were actually kissing on the lips on the dance floor.

 

Theo turned his head a little and brought his lips towards Mrs Grande’s. Again she made no effort to resist him, and he found her lips were soon warmly pressed against his own.

 

It was the kiss of a lifetime for Theo, who had never kissed anyone before that night.

 

“I’ll be the talk of the school,” said Mrs Grande at last.

 

“I’m not complaining,” said Theo.

 

“Don’t think that this means I’m going to fall in love with you,” said Mrs Grande, “You should have been in my stomach weeks ago.”

 

“I know, but it is enjoyable to be with you all the same,” said Theo.

 

“You haven’t even thought where you’re going to stay, have you?” she said, “I did bring you here. So you’re my responsibility. I’ll hire you as a gardener for the mansion, and let you use the guest quarters in the mansion.”

 

“Thank you,” said Theo, “I do intend to still make up for the attempted theft of your money. I’m ashamed of it, and I wish I’d never done it now. You mean a lot to me.”

 

“You’re a handsome boy, Theo, but you’ve let me down.”

 

 

 

1979…

 

Sleep was not an option. Flip Graid had to hide. He jumped out of the bed and ran across the room and slid under a very low cupboard, which would still give him a good view of the door. In time, he saw the elegantly dressed Miss Dakarta open the door and walk into the room. It was not that wide or tall, but he was far smaller, and had ample space to conceal himself.

 

“It would seem that you’ve decided to try to delay this,” she said and began to look for him, while narrating the story of her initial discovery of Boy Archer and the details of the tournament which had paired her with him indefinitely.

 

Flip Graid listened, admiring the pretty giant woman, as he pictured the scene of her winning the tournament in the way she described and placing the Boy Archer into her mouth. Unlike Flip, the Boy Archer’s future had not been at stake during the chase in the tournament gardens of the palace.

 

Soon Diana came over and lay down and peeked in at him.

 

“Would you like to be a good boy and come out?” she asked, “I’ve been your teacher all week.”

 

“No,” said Flip, “I’ll stay here.”

 

“Suit yourself,” said Diana, and stood up again.

 

As he suddenly saw the cupboard lifted and carried away, he wished he’d chosen a larger one, and one that she had not been able to lift.